Today, Tina Turner celebrates her 74th birthday! During her life, she has shown the world over and over again that age however, is just a number. In this post, we take a look at 10 moments when Tina Turner proved that she was, is, and will always remain, the ageless queen of rock music. Happy birthday Tina – thanks for the inspiration!
1. Age 20 (1960): when she proved that even young girls get the blues
Tina Turner recorded her first single, A Fool In Love, in 1960. With her breathtaking performance, she showed the world that even a twenty-year-old girl can understand the pain of love.
2. Age 30 (1970): when she showed that a mother of four can be sexy
Back in 1970, Tina Turner was constantly touring with the Ike & Tina Turner Revue, on the road 300 days a year. At home, however, she was raising four teenage boys. In this performance on the Ed Sullivan show, she showed America that a mother of four can still be sexy.
3. Age 45 (1985): when she was the biggest pop star on the planet
At the 1985 Grammy Awards ceremony, she won three awards and performed her number one hit-single What’s Love Got To Do With It. That night, she was the biggest pop star on the planet. Aged 45, it still remains the most remarkable comeback in music history.
4. Age 48 (1988): when she sold out the biggest stadium in the world
Aged 48, Tina Turner fulfilled her lifelong dream of filling the biggest football stadium in the world. On January 16, 1988 she performed at Rio de Janeiro’s Maracana Stadium in front of 180,000 fans. She made it to the Guinness book of world records.
5. Age 56 (1996): when she totally rocked this tiny Versace dress
Surely her most sexy and breathtaking stage outfit, Tina Turner opened every night of her 1996/1997 Wildest Dreams tour in this glittery Versace mini-dress. And those legs…!
6. Age 60 (2000): when she celebrated her 60th birthday like this
At age 60, she toured around the world with her 2000 Twenty Four Seven millennium tour. It was the highest grossing concert tour of the year and included two sold-out dates at London’s legendary Wembley Stadium.
7. Age 68 (2008): when she showed Beyoncé who’s queen
At the 2008 Grammy Awards, Beyoncé convinced Tina, her lifelong idol, to join her on stage for a rendition of Proud Mary. Tina showed Beyoncé that she could still keep up with someone more than forty years her junior.
8. Age 69 (2009): when she proved that you are never too old to rock ‘n’ roll
Tina said farewell to the concert stage during her 2008/2009 sold-out 50th Anniversary Tour. She was 69 when she finished the tour, and she sure showed the world you are never too old to rock out. It’s only rock ‘n’ roll, but she likes it…
9. Age 73 (2013): when she became Vogue’s oldest cover model
This spring, Tina surprised the world when she became the oldest cover girl of Vogue magazine, ever! She looked fabulous as she graced the cover of the April issue of the German Vogue.
10. Age 73 (2013): when she demonstrated you’re never too old to find true love and happiness
In July of this year, Tina got married for the second time in her life at the age of 73. She tied the knot with her long-time partner Erwin Bach in a private ceremony at their house on the banks of the lake of Zürich, Switzerland. In an interview with Oprah Winfrey held a few weeks after the marriage, she claimed she has never been so happy in her life!